Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The sea


When I was a kid ,my parents took me for a vacation in Puri. It is one of the oldest cities in the eastern part of the country. It is situated on the coast of the Bay Of Bengal and is a popular beach resort.It's also considered a holy place of pilgrimage in India-the site of the one of the four cardinal institutions established by Adi shankaracharya .Most importantly it houses the world famous Jagannath temple.
So a vacation in puri serves the purpose of leisure,pilgrimage and good Oriya food in a package,plus it's very close to kolkata.

Anyway so that trip was my first tryst with the sea.Never had I seen such a huge expanse of water ever before.The gushing waves terrified me-I was only three years old..yet I remember the fear vividly.My parents went ahead to wet their feet in the water,and I howled out.I thought the sea would engulf them.For a moment I thought I would lose my parents because the sea would literally gobble them up in one shot.But the waves came,glided across their feet,and receded.It again came and did the same thing.I stopped howling,I was looking at it with skepticism now-and then my parents cajoled me to join them ...They held my hands and told me to trust them.I did but ,nevertheless was anxious as the waves were coming towards me...And then they came..and I felt the smoothness of the frothy water as it embraced my feet upto the ankles and went further behind me..I turned to look at how it wet the sands,and then began to retrace it's journey back..and then I felt a queer thing as the water receded..it seemed to pull me ,but yet not forcefully..it was like a small tug and the sand beneath my feet moved a tad..and it felt ticklish...it brought a smile on my face..and finally when the water had gone back I saw the imprint of my feet on the sand,where I was standing when the waves had come ...that brought a gleam into my eyes.... and a grin to my face

And that was it..ever since that day I fell in love with the sea..I love it's salty taste,I love the low growling of the vast expanse of water,i like the salty smell of the sea shores,I love the sand and making the sand dunes and breaking them and remaking them,I like to pick up sea shells,I love the glistening waves....I love the sun rising and setting on the brink of the ocean looking like the yolk of an egg...I simply love the sea..I feel at home

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This one reminded me of my fascination for the sea.

Priyam Mukherjee said...

:-)