Saturday, June 20, 2009

A ride in the scorching heat



Today I was out on the street under the blazing sun at 2 in the afternoon.The weather here can be best described as harrowing and agonizing.and around 2 when the sun is at it's peak form the pain is excruciating.The heat seemed through rip my skin-the burning sensation was like needles being pricked on my skin.Added to that was the humidity that was making it even worse.
I took a cab for transport to have some respite.Buses seemed like overcrowded boxes of tin and the idea of getting up on one was unfathomable...
Sitting next to the window and having hot air blown at my face ,I passed an old man waiting at the bus stop,lots of middle aged women wearing synthetic saris and perpetually wet ,holed up inside the bus,some sitting,some standing-they seemed to be in a group going somewhere together;a cycle rickshaw puller with a fat couple,some people sleeping on the pavements wearing torn clothes and kids playing wearing nothing..

Lots of people in different sizes,shapes gender and age bracket,united in one thing-all of us are facing the same blistering heat,and trying to be comfortable within our means..

I shudder to think about exchanging places with that old man who has to take a bus in this harsh weather.I wonder what it must be for the numerous daily wagers who have to be out to earn their bread.
I feel very guilty that I can afford to take the most comfortable public transport,when there are millions who cannot afford it and have to suffer.Yet I cannot bring myself to forgo the privilege and join them.

I feel bad but I'm too selfish to sacrifice.All I do is thank God everyday for the good fortune I have and I pray that it remains forever ..meanwhile I also hope that someday ,someday all the sufferers get to share my privilege..

I wish I knew what to do to make the latter happen..

2 comments:

♥ ღ Д®ǐţŘå ღ ♥ said...

ROD E RANGA EET ER PANJA/
TAR OPOR E BOSHLO RAJA/
THONGA BHORA BADAM BHAJA/
KHACCHE KIN2 GILCHE NA//

GA E AANTA GOROM JAMA/
PURE PITH HOCCHE JHAMA/
RAJA BOLE "BRISHTI NAMA/
NOILE KICCHU MILCHE NA"//

Puloma C said...

"O Rose, thou art sick!
The invisible worm
That flies in the night,
In the howling storm,
Has found out thy bed
Of crimson joy:
And his dark secret love
Does thy life destroy."